Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be writing about, but with the project I've been working on for the past 7 months recently announced, I felt compelled to finally start one. Of course, it has taken me almost a week to get my blog up and running - more on that in future blog entries...

Serchie

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Genius

Elina* is 15, goes to a normal state school, and is probably cleverer than you. And that's official.

I didn't even think about how intelligent - or not - I was until this April. I heard about Mensa on TV and asked my mum if she knew what it was. She told me that it's an organisation that only those in the top 2% of the population, intelligence-wise, can join. She also told me that she's a member. So, just out of interest, I took the test. It was a bit weird - me and about 20 other people in a parish hall.

A girl studying with a large book


There are two different tests and you just have to pass one of them. I passed on the one with shapes.

The other test was with words, which I didn't pass. English isn't my strong point cos I'm Norwegian. I came to England nearly five years ago. I could hardly speak any English then, but now most people can't tell that I'm foreign.

Top 1%

Anyway, turns out my IQ (Intelligence Quotient) is in the top 1%!

I've never felt more intelligent than those around me, cos I never knew I was. One of my friends beats me in every subject, but she got less than me on an online IQ test, which surprised me. So I don't think you can always tell who's the most intelligent - it's not just about grades.

My predicted GCSE grades? Straight A/A*.

“Predicted straight A/A*”

Frustrations

I do get impatient if people don't understand something that I'm explaining. Sometimes in class, especially German (which is really close to Norwegian), when people get a question wrong I just say the answer because I get so impatient. I get told off a lot for that...

Hardly anyone knows that my IQ is in the top 1%. Just a few of my family and friends, but none of my teachers.

Exam stress

exam results

I don't think I'm any different from loads of other people at my school. I do worry a lot about exams and have very high expectations for myself - my mum often has to make me stop studying before an exam and calm me down because I get so stressed. But then loads of people get stressed about exams.

I'm no better than others

I would never, ever think I was 'better' than anyone who isn't as intelligent as me. Even though I do get impatient at times, I also understand that others can't always work as fast as me.

But that doesn't mean I don't respect them - they're probably better than me at something else, like sport and art. I can't draw to save my life! I don't respect them less, because I wouldn't want them to respect me less just because I can't draw.

Am I officially a genius?! I don't know, and I don't really care. But my intelligence is important to me. Everyone has something they are good at, and I'm good at thinking logically. And it's nice to know that's official.

No comments: