Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be writing about, but with the project I've been working on for the past 7 months recently announced, I felt compelled to finally start one. Of course, it has taken me almost a week to get my blog up and running - more on that in future blog entries...

Serchie

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Slink Vicki had an amazing day with the cast of Wicked and members of the anti-bullying alliance...

Last Thursday was turning out to be just another average day at Slink Head Quarters: Anna was singing along to High School Musical, Trev was dancing to his Starship ringtone, Ice was learning Soulja's Crank and I was running around pretending to be Elphaba from the musical, Wicked.

The brave young people who've stood up against bullies

Like I said, average... Until my life got turned upside down and I FELL IN LOVE.

Probably in a bid to get my not-so-wicked Elphaba antics out of the office for a couple of hours, I was sent to meet the cast of Wicked and members of the Anti-Bullying Alliance at the Apollo Theatre.

So I hopped on my broomstick (I got the tube really) and got to the auditorium just as the lights were going down.

I was very excited...

The lights went down and three men in suits walked out and I thought "HANG ON A MINUTE. SOMETHING FISHY IS GOING DOWN HERE. THIS IS NOT WICKED."

But it was. Wicked, I mean. These men, including the SECRETARY OF STATE, were here to talk about Anti-Bullying Week 2007 (19-23 November) - a campaign supported by the cast of Wicked.

“Elphaba is bullied for being different ”

At the heart of the musical is a story about a girl, Elphaba, who is bullied for being different (completely green).

This is overcome by her friendship with Galinda and - with the focus of Anti-Bullying Week this year being bullying in the community - this idea of support from friends (i.e. peer-mentoring services) was talked about a lot.

If you're being bullied, speak out

Many young people were given awards for their achievements against bullying, and it was great to see something so positive being recognised. Emphasis was really put upon the fact that if young people are being bullied then they should speak to someone.

Unbelievably, sat in the Apollo Theatre with its green lights and witchly décor, I completely forgot about the musical and became captivated by what everyone had to say about bullying; so you can only imagine my delight when the cast of WICKED came on stage and gave their support to the campaign...

And THAT'S WHEN I SAW HIM.

Oh lordy

Vicki in the arms of Oliver Tompsett who plays Fiyero

I was in love. LOVE. Time stood still as I looked into his eyes and he into mine (okay, so he made a joke about how the lights were so blinding that he couldn't see anyone in the audience, but I'm sure it was my love that was blinding, right?)

And it gets better. The cast then sang a song.

I was overcome

I was caught off guard. I didn't know whether to a) sing along b) applaud or c) cry.

Unfortunately for me (and the person next to me) I ended up doing an explosive mixture of all three at the same time.

After their song, I sneaked up on stage with all the professional camera people (I'm sure my tiny digital camera didn't give me away).

I ran over to the cast and begged them to let me have a photo with them... and they said yes!

I spotted fittie (Fiyero) in the distance and managed to get my photo taken with him. Swoon.

“He held me tight”

Looking at the photo, you can tell by the look in his eyes, and the way he is holding me oh-so-tightly, that he is obviously completely in love with me too.

After all this, I headed back to Slink HQ to report the events of my brilliant day... music, dance, hot boys and really great cause.

Hearing the stories of those who'd been bullied and bravely stood up to their bullies was so inspiring. Remember: Bullying is Wicked. And not in a good way.

No comments: