Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be writing about, but with the project I've been working on for the past 7 months recently announced, I felt compelled to finally start one. Of course, it has taken me almost a week to get my blog up and running - more on that in future blog entries...

Serchie

Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm staying celibate

Erika, 15, has decided she's not going to have sex until she's much older. She tells us why...

I'm 15, and have decided to wait to have my first sexual experience. I have witnessed too many people, who I've been close to, be affected by negative issues to do with sex.

One case in particular happened when my friend had been at a big party with her boyfriend. They'd both been drinking alcohol and were last seen heading to her bedroom where they had sex.

After the party had died down and it was time to go back to school her boyfriend dumped her. She was only 13 at the time and none of her friends respected her. They thought she chose her boyfriend too many times over her friends and she soon regretted the whole experience.

another couple

Too close to home

Another boy at my school also had too much to drink and had unprotected sex, recently everyone has found out he has herpes. He now has to take time out from his lessons as the pill he has to take makes him feel weak.

Everyone was really shocked that sex could have such a negative consequence. We didn't really know about STI's before but now we know you have to protect yourself.

These are the type of stories I thought I would only read about in magazines but when it happened closer to home it really brought back the thought that these things really do happen.

“There was no way I wanted to go through that ”

I decided there was no way I wanted to go through something similar to those people from my school. So I made up my mind not to have sex until I am a lot older.

My friends didn't take to it very well at first. I lost a few mates because they thought that I wasn't "all that" just because I wanted to wait for sex. However, my family is really pleased with my choice and think it's great that I'm not pressured by what other people think.

It will be harder for me when I get a little bit older, because all of my friends are going to start doing it and my relationships are likely to be more meaningful but I will stick to my plan.

Relationships are difficult

some condoms

My decision has had a big impact on my relationships because some of my boyfriends wanted to take the relationship further, but I had told them before hand that I'm going to wait until I'm ready.

They obviously hadn't taken me seriously and thought that I might change my mind, so this caused friction and caused the ending of the relationship.

I don't think that there's a specific time I can put on when I'm going to be ready, the feeling will come to me when I know its right. I don't choose to wait because of a certain faith, but I do know some people that do. It's purely just the way my body is feeling.

Lets all stay safe

I feel strongly that people who are ready to have sex should be prepared for the little things, because it only takes a condom to stop a lifetime of hassle with infections and stressful problems that can hold you back. The one thing I know is that most people around my age have to keep safe. So look after your bodies and use a condom.

Slink says: A massive thankyou to Erika for sharing her story. Remember, everyone is different and it's your choice whether to start having sex or not. Only you can decide if you feel ready!

No comments: