Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be writing about, but with the project I've been working on for the past 7 months recently announced, I felt compelled to finally start one. Of course, it has taken me almost a week to get my blog up and running - more on that in future blog entries...

Serchie

Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm an eco warrior

I'm a 13 year old girl who likes listening to music, going out with my friends and spending quality time with my family. The only thing that makes me a bit different is that I'm really into the environment.

A greener living symbol

In fact I'm so crazy about the environment I won a competition, and now I'm a Climate Change Champion. This is my story about how I won and why I actually do like hugging trees!

I have always been really interested in the environment and have always enjoyed finding out what was happening in my world and keeping up to date with world issues. So when one of my teachers introduced me to the competition, I was really excited.

This was my opportunity to make a real difference and talk up a subject I am really passionate about. The competition was about finding young people who really cared about the environment and wanted to inspire change, so I decided to make a film.

My documentary was about climate change and its consequences, I worked really hard on it but was absolutely amazed that it got me through to the semi-finals. Here I was interviewed by four climate change experts. I felt like I was on Dragons Den and it was so scary.

“It's not every day you have tea with the Prime Minister”

Winning time

I guess I didn't let my nerves get the better of me because I won my round and was awarded the title of Climate Change Champion for my region. I was ecstatic.

Nine of us won in total and we were lucky enough to be taken to No. 10 to meet the Prime Minister and then set off to Holland to learn more about climate change and alternative energy. During my trip in Holland I even got to appear on the Dutch version of Newsround. However going to Downing street was incredible - it's not every day you have tea with the Prime Minister, is it?

What I've done since winning

Jess looking very happy

It's not all swanning around with the rich people though, being a Climate Change Champion is serious stuff. My role entails speaking at events and generally raising awareness about global warming in lots of different ways. For example I have just set up a poster and photography competition for primary school children.

When I first talked to the children it was obvious that they found the topic of global warming really boring. But I really wanted to change their opinion and make young children aware of sustainable development and just how easy it is for them to do their bit. It makes sense because in the future these children will be the ones you need to look after the environment too.

I've done so much since winning the competition, talked to climate change experts, been on TV and the even on live radio. The amazing thing is, now standing up in front of large audiences doesn't actually seem that scary. So I feel like I've grown in loads of different ways.

I don't think teenagers really care about the environment. I think this is because the national curriculum doesn't cover climate change in enough depth. So as children, reducing our carbon footprint isn't seen as important and looking after our planet isn't second nature. But I really hope anyone reading this story will prove me wrong.

Be an eco warrior too!

If you're interested in climate change I'd recommend starting an eco group in your school and getting your friends involved. Or you could join an internet forum to learn more and chat to other environmentally aware teenagers.

I have no idea what I want to be when I'm older, that seems so far way. But I do know I'll still be recycling and definitely be hugging the odd tree now and then!

No comments: