Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be writing about, but with the project I've been working on for the past 7 months recently announced, I felt compelled to finally start one. Of course, it has taken me almost a week to get my blog up and running - more on that in future blog entries...

Serchie

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kidnapped by my gran

Katy, 17, was kidnapped by her grandmother. She emailed us her story...

My mum was just 16 when she got pregnant with me. It was a great surprise to her family but she was thrilled. She was in love with my father and things couldn't be better.

A little baby

However that wasn't the opinion of my grandmother. As my mother was in full time education my grandmother had to take care of me during the day. She wasn't pleased with this at all.

Alcoholic father

“She disapproved that I was a girl“

She claimed she didn't mind the fact that my mum had a child. But she felt that my father was a 'druggie and alcoholic' and she hated the fact that my mum was in love with him. She felt he wouldn't be a suitable father and husband.

She said later that she also disapproved of the fact that I was a girl and wouldn't carry on the family name. She saw her daughter's future going down the drain when I turned up. She wanted my mum to go to university but that didn't seem possible because I was so young.

The right thing to do?

So she did what she said afterwards was "the best thing anyone could have done for their daughter". This meant putting me in a home and up for adoption while her daughter was at college.

No one told my mum what had happened. Her college was far away so it took her a while to realise what had actually happened to me. As I was so young I didn't understand what was going on, so obviously I didn't complain.

Final resort

A mother kissing her daughter on the cheek.

When my mum eventually found out what had happened she searched long and hard up and down the country for places she thought I might be. She finally resorted to reporting my grandmother to social services and the police on a charge of kidnapping.

She hoped this would make her confess where I was and luckily she was right. Gran admitted she put me in a care home but wouldn't say where. Mum asked the staff in lots of different care homes but finally came to one who recognised my photo.

Unfortunately by then I was being fostered. She got the information about the foster parents from the home and came to get me.

When she arrived apparently I didn't recognise her, which broke her heart.

Forgiveness

It took a long time but eventually, my mother forgave my grandmother. I also learned to forgive her and we all got along fine. We were finally one happy family because my gran learnt to except my mother's life choices. Sadly recently passed away.

My mother says that when she was separated from me she was desperate, and was really shocked to realise what my grandmother had done! Now though, everything is alright, and we are getting on with our lives. All is forgiven.

No comments: