Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be writing about, but with the project I've been working on for the past 7 months recently announced, I felt compelled to finally start one. Of course, it has taken me almost a week to get my blog up and running - more on that in future blog entries...

Serchie

Monday, October 13, 2008

Wasp attack

Hannah and her friends survived a wasp attack. She emailed us her ordeal...

My mate Rebecca had a crush on my cousin Ollie ever since they met at my birthday party. He lives really close to our school so it wasn't hard to get hold of him again to tell him how she felt.

A wasp nest

When I told him he was really surprised but also quite happy about it. They soon got chatting on MSN and before I knew it he was arranging for them to go to the park to get to know each other.

Rebecca was really nervous so we managed to persuade him to let me come too. When the day finally came Rebecca spent ages getting ready and had been experimenting with all her perfume and hairspray. She probably didn't think much about it but all those chemicals made her a prime target for insects.

“The wasps got really mad”

When we arrived at the park things just went from bad to worse. My dad had dropped us off really early so we were waiting around for ages. We were getting really bored and I was starting to doubt that he was going to show up.

Park life

I was about to say something when we saw him walking up the road. He looked great and him and Rebecca were talking really easily. We were walking around the lake when things started to go wrong.

Some of Ollie's friends were riding their bikes on the park and they spotted him and talked to him for ages. Me and Rebecca got really bored and walked off but Ollie soon caught up. He apologised and we soon got back to chatting together.

I accidentally made a comment about Ollie and Rebecca getting married. They got really embarrassed and mad at me and chased me into some trees. We ended up staying there for ages just sitting on the tree branches and chatting.

Up a tree

Some teens in a tree

That's when things got really bad. I felt a stabbing pain in my side and thought I had been bitten by a red ant. I soon realised that I was wrong. The branch that Ollie was sitting on snapped. I just laughed at him but he ran out of the trees yelling in pain.

It turns out that the branch he was sitting on had a wasps nest in it and they were all attracted to Ollie's hair gel. Rebecca went out to see what was happening and they attacked her too.

We ran out of the park screaming. Ollie and Rebecca were covered in them but they weren't attracted to me. I was the only one who could help them. No one else could see what was going on so I tried beating the wasps away with sticks. That was a big mistake.

Running for our lives

The wasps got really mad so we ran for our lives. We were all covered in wasps and there was nothing we could do about it. Thankfully my Nanny's house was only down the road so we walked to her house and she sorted us out.

No one on the park that day bothered to help us and I want to advise people reading this to be more aware of wasps and if they see anyone in the same situation as us to offer them help.

Any one of us could have had an allergic reaction that day and been rushed into hospital. Although it was a horrible experience it could have been worse, we're lucky to be alive!

No comments: