Welcome

Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'm not sure exactly what I'll be writing about, but with the project I've been working on for the past 7 months recently announced, I felt compelled to finally start one. Of course, it has taken me almost a week to get my blog up and running - more on that in future blog entries...

Serchie

Monday, October 13, 2008

My stammer is stunting me

Caitlin, 14, has a stammer which affects her whole life. Our very own Switch Barry also has a stammer and shares his advice. Here's their stories...

Caitlin's story

I developed a stutter out of nowhere when I was about eight, just before I moved house. I was recommended to see a speech therapist, but it did nothing to help me.

A girl looking upset gazing out the window

I've been bullied for as long as I can remember, so as you can imagine, the bullies had a field day with my stutter. They thought I was afraid of them - which of course I was but I'd never let it show before.

It's really difficult having a stammer because nobody really gets how hard it is. I can't say certain words and I repeat a sentence loads of times in my head. I'm silently screaming at myself just to say it, but the words never come out. It's like a block on a word and I physically can't say it.

A few friends are more sympathetic with me, they don't laugh at me, they just tell me to take my time, and that's good, but I feel so embarrassed and end up wishing I'd never said anything in the first place.

The bullies at school have started to lay off a little. When I went to high school I managed to find a group of friends which sheltered me a little from the bullying so I'm never really alone in the corridors anymore.

“1% of the world stutter which is 66 million people worldwide ”

Teacher trouble

It's tough at school because the teacher always asks me a question. She assumes that I'm not putting up my hand because I'm not paying attention but that's not the case. I get really jumpy and nervous and I worry about things that never used to concern me before my stutter.

In class I'm always sitting silently praying that the teacher won't ask me a question. Just saying 'here' in the register is hard enough. When I get asked a question, I try to answer it but can ever get the words out, so I end up shrugging and looking like an idiot.

Still struggling

For a while, my stutter did get better, but this year it's returned and now when I'm with my friends I end up sitting quietly.The stutter has completely taken over my life. It's given me some self confidence issues and made me really depressed.

For anybody with a stutter, I recommend speech therapy. Speech therapists are good because they know what your getting at, they know that you can't control it. It never helped my stutter, but makes it a little more bearable - to know that some people out there do understand and realise just how much it can change your life, you're personality and everything about you.

Slink Barry's experience and advice

Switch Barry

I've also had a stutter for as long as I can remember. I feel your pain as I was also taunted at school and I know it's not nice. However, 1% of the world stutter and although that might not seem many, it's approximately 66 million people worldwide, so you are by no means alone.

If your teachers don't realise how difficult it is for you to speak in front of the class, have a quiet word with them and explain that you're not keeping quiet because you're stupid, it's because you have a stutter.

Don't try to hide the fact you have a stutter as this will intensify the pressure not to stutter. Talk to your friends and family openly about how it affects you and your life. This will help a lot. Although it's difficult, try to ignore the bullies, they will soon be mature enough to realise that no one is perfect including themselves.

Although there is no cure for stuttering, I learned to control my stutter through The McGuire Programme. It teaches a breathing technique to control your speech and also tackles the self-confidence and assertiveness issues. Gareth Gates also found success with this programme and is now a course instructor.

And lastly, your opinion is just as important as everyone else's so never be afraid to speak up. Those who matter will be willing to take the time to listen and those who don't aren't worth worrying about.

No comments: